PROVIDENCE HUMBLES TENNIS TEAM IN EXCITING MATCH 6-4

Tilden and Other National Stars in Visitors Line-Up.

In one of the best played and most spectacular matches of the season the University tennis team was defeated yesterday by the strong Providence Tennis Club septet 6-4. Numbering in their team such well-known players as William T. Tilden 2d, who is second in the national ranking list, and is one of the four players on the American Davis Cup team, Arnold Jones Jr. and E. T. Curley, Rhode Island State Champion, the visitors presented a formidable aggregation.

The fastest match of the afternoon was that in which Tilden encountered Captain G. W> Helm '20, and in two hard sets defeated him 6-3, 6-2. In an exciting three-set match, L. A. deTurenne '21, conquered Dana, a mainstay of the Providence raqueters.

In the doubles a sensational match was furnished by Helm and deTurenne playing against Tilden and Owen, the latter finally winning 7-5; 6-1. With the score 5-4 in the visitors favor, a last battle developed between Fenno and Hyams, and Curley and Dana, resulting in a three-set victory for the Providence combination, and deciding the match against the Crimson.

The Freshmen, however, playing Country Day, encountered little opposition, carrying the day 6-0.