FIELD ARTILLERY UNIT TO HOLD GYMKANA IN ARMORY

Seven-Event Program May 28 Will be Final Work for All R. O. T. C. Members.

On Saturday, May 29, the University Field Artillery Unit of the R. O. T. C. will wind up its equitation work with a gymkana to be held in the Common-wealth Armory. Although only members of the Military Science Courses will be entered, all members of the University and their friends will be free to witness the gymkana.

There are seven events on the program as follows:

1. Musical Stalls.

2. Mounted Tug-of-War (first heat).

3. Relay Race.

4. Mounted Tug-of-War (second heat).

5. Obstacle Race.

6. Mounted Tug-of-War (finals).

7. Jumping.

8. Mounted Wrestling.

The first event, the musical stalls, will be a kind of "Going to Jerusalem" affair in which the entrants will ride round a ring of chairs to the tune of the band. When the music stops the men will dismount and rush for the nearest chair. As there will be one less seat on each round than there are men, the man who fails to find a seat will be eliminated.

Perhaps the most spectacular of the events will be the tug-of-war. Two teams, made up of 20 riders apiece, will try to drag each other across the arena floor in an allowed time of 1 minute and 20 seconds. Military Science 1, composed entirely of Freshmen, and Military Science 2, composed entirely of upperclassmen, will make up the two units.

The relay race will afford another thrill when two teams of two riders and a horse will race up and down the arena. Two men will ride on each horse and will be required to change overalls either while on route or at the end of the lap.

Two teams of two riders each will participate in the obstacle race. Starting dressed in regular uniform, the men will race to a series of falls set up in the arena, scale these, jump into denims, climb out again and remount. Then, further on, they will dismount again, climb through some barrels and jump into the saddle again. Finally, after taking a jump they will race to a rack, where they will dismount and leave their overalls and then report to the judges' stand.