Is Hoover an Autocrat?

Communications

(The Crimson invites all men in the University to submit signed communications of timely interest. It assumes no responsibility, however, for sentiments expresseo under this head and reserves the right to exclude any whose publication would be palpably inappropriate.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:--

Time and again we have heard it said by Hoover's critics, as well as by those who speak merely from ignorance, that were he to be vested with the presidential powers we should have an absolute one-man government. After our recent experiences with a potentate in the White House, such fears are entirely natural, but, as I shall attempt to show, absolutely groundless.

From the very beginning of the World War, Hoover's strategy was to produce results, not through dictation but through cooperation. As food "Administrator," a title chosen by himself, Hoover did not attempt to fulfill his talk by immediately having laws passed and rationing the nation, instead he put the whole business of producing and conserving food on a voluntary basis, depending on the concerted effort of the people in the right direction.

As to his relief work, from the start he made it plain that the relief was administered only until such time as the people were able to help themselves. Furthermore, it was his system to administer the relief through local agencies, that the aid might come directly from the people of the land. Despite the great numbers at all times distributing relief through Europe, there was never a great number of Americans among them, and they were used only where international necessity demanded.

However, the great deciding factor against the belief that Hoover is an autocrat is the practice he has of always choosing broad and capable men to be his aids. When he has chosen the best men he can find for his subordinates he trusts them absolutely and gives them free rein to work. Not only was this evident during his war work, but also in his private business life before. Plainly this is a habit utterly inconsistent with a one-man government. R. J. BARNES, UNC.