1923 NINE LOSES TO HOLY CROSS BY ONE-POINT MARGIN

Seven Runs For Visitors in Last Two Innings Make Final Score 9-8

Entering the eighth inning with the overwhelming lead of six runs, the Freshman baseball nine cracked and permitted Holy Cross 1923 to score seven times in the last two innings and win 9-8. With G. Owen pitching, the first two men up in the eighth were passed, and after he had been relieved by T. F. Oakes, three successive errors and a sacrifice fly brought in three runners without a single hit. J. Anastas went in to pitch for the Freshmen in the ninth after the first batter had reached first on a hit and two balls had been thrown to the second man. A pass followed by four singles, scored four runs and a one-margin victory for Holy Cross. In their half of the ninth the yearlings went out in order.

The big inning for the Freshmen was the third, when they hit Steinhilber for three singles and a double which, coupled with a base on balls, a fielder's choice and two errors, produced five runs. Two more scores followed in the next inning, when R. H. Keegan doubled after R. Worthington had been passed and crossed the plate himself on D. F. Thayer's hit.