2ND NINE CONQUERS ANDOVER

Russell Chalks Up Seven Strike Outs.--Jones Stars at Bat.

Playing almost errorless ball, the University second team yesterday won its first victory of the season by defeating the strong Andover nine, 4-3. E. Stanton Russell '22 in the box, who held the school boys to two hits and struck out seven batters, and L. P. Jones '20 who rapped out four hits, one of them a two-bagger, in four chances at bat, starred for the Crimson.

The seconds spilled first blood in the first inning when G. D. Chase '21 walked to first and was advanced successively to home by a sacrifice bunt of J. W. Sherman '20 and a single by W. J. Banes '22. In the second frame Sherman again came through, this time scoring J. G. Allen '22 and Russell by a well-placed single. The Crimson offensive ended in the third inning when Jones's two-bagger brought in Banes, who had been walked. After that the home team seemed able only to hold the visitors to three scattered runs.

It was not until the sixth inning that the visitors scored their first tally: Clough, who had been walked, came in on successive errors by Scott and Banes. A sacrifice by Cleveland in the next inning brought in Bemis with the second tally. Good pitching by Russell in the ninth nipped an incipient last inning rally in the bud when Smith, having gained first on an error by J. M. Martin '22, came in with the last tally for the visitor's on a sacrifice by Bemis. The next man up, however, flied out to Martin and terminated the game.

The summary:   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Harvard Second,  1  2  1  0  0  0  0  0  0  4 Andover,  0  0  0  0  0  1  1  0  1  3