ACTION IMPERATIVE.

The continued failure of the Federal Railway Labor Board to take decisive action on the alleged grievances of railway workers has produced a situation that may at any time develop into another and far more serious strike. More than seven months ago the Administration promised relief to the switchmen and can shopmen through the immediate reduction of the cost of living. But the cost of living has steadily advanced, and the restless discontent of the men has increased as they have watched the garment workers, coal miners and other classes receive substantial increases in wages. The Federal Board, provided for by the Esch-Cummings Act two months ago, was not even appointed until the country was in the grip of the outlaw strike, and so far it has produced no constructive results. In the meantime the traffic tie-up caused by the strike continues critical. All the workmen, even the Brotherhoods themselves, are losing patience.

Whatever our attitude may be toward the ethics of rail strikes which paralyze the whole country, it is folly not to recognize and try to ward off the impending danger. It is not yet too late to save the situation, but to delay longer is to court disaster.