SUMMER SCHOOL PLANS PHYSICAL INSTRUCTION

WORK BEGINS JULY 6

Courses in football, track and basketball coaching will be included in the curriculum of the Harvard Summer School of Physical Education, which opens its thirty-third year July 6, 1920, and closes August 11, it was announced yesterday. There are excellent opportunities for men in college to take the course for four summers in conjunction with their college work, and receive certificates at the end of that time with their degrees. More applications for instructors in physical education are being received at Mr. Geer's office, than can be filled, because of the unusually large demand for physical directors all over the country.

"The reason for this demand," said Mr. Clarence B. Van Wyck, Secretary to the Department of Physical Education, yesterday, "is that there are now laws in nearly every state requiring instructors in this work in both public and private schools. The largest salaries in the teaching profession, except full college professorships, are being paid for this sort of work."

Howard R. Reiter, former Princeton star halfback, at present physical director at Lehigh University, has been secured, as an instructor in football, and will give the students at the Summer School training in the technical points of the game, as well as actual signal practice on Jarvis Field. A yearly average of 230 students from all parts of the country, attend the Harvard Summer School of Physical Education, and large numbers come from Canada and other foreign countries. Many graduates of the school are at present heads of physical training departments at some of the large state universities. The buildings now occupied by the Sargent Normal School are rented for this summer school.