PLAN FOUR-OAR RACE FOR FRESHMEN TODAY

WHITESIDE 1922 CAPTAIN

Next Saturday afternoon there will be a crew race between the Middlesex School four and a 1923 four in the Charles River Basin. At present two of the 1923 eights have been split up to make two four-oared crews. The second crew and the third crew, from which the fours have been taken, will not row together this week. This afternoon the two fours will race over the half-mile course in front of the Newell Boathouse; the winning crew will be entered in Saturday's race. The line-ups of the crews which will race this afternoon are as follows:

First Four-Oar.--Bow, Tucker; 2, Westengard; 3, Collier; stroke, Wood, J.; cox., Lanman.

Second Four-Oar.--Bow, Perkins; 2, Brander; 3, Habicht; stroke, Thayer; cox., Little.

Yesterday afternoon the members of the Sophomore first crew elected Frederick Shattuck Whiteside, of Portland, Oregon, captain. This is in preparation for the spring regatta which is to be held the week of May 29. The Senior class crew will elect its captain this afternoon.

All scullers who are planning to enter the Carroll Cup race in the regatta of the week of May 29, and who report now at the Newell Boathouse, will be assigned to a shell for their exclusive use. This is in order that the men may get accustomed to a shell and to make it unnecessary to use a different shell each time they row. All those who are entering in the cup race, or who are planning to row in any of the singles races in the regatta may secure individual instruction from Coach Manning if they wish it. This will fulfill the exercise requirements of the 1923 men.

Form New Crews This Afternoon.

Centipede and octopede crews will be formed this afternoon if enough men come out. 1915 was the last year that the octopede and centipede shells were used. An octopede is an eight-oared shell rigged for two oars per man, while a centipede is a four-oared shell similarly rigged.