POLAND'S LATEST WAR.

Poland seems to be indulging in a private war of her own against the Bolsheviki. Though we deplore a resort to arms, except in the last extremity, our sympathy goes out to that unfortunate little nation. It is certain that site must have considered her very existence to be jeopardized, otherwise she would scarcely have risked incurring the permanent enmity of so powerful a neighbor.

The victory which the Poles have won will probably give them an invaluable feeling of national solidarity. But it is to be hoped that they will not weaken their country and their cause by prolonging the fight one single minute. What they most need is to set to work; to repair the damages of war and to apply themselves in peaceful pursuits. It would be particularly unfortunate if they were to provoke just grievances by seizing territory not rightfully theirs. Poland must now strive for that mutual amity with surrounding states by which alone a worth-while peace is assured.

We have here another vivid example of the harm done, when the League of Nations was abandoned by the United States. The tribunal derived its greatest power from the might of moral right. How could it fail to lose prestige when its chief exponent deserted it for avowedly materialistic, selfish reasons? But we shall some day learn our lesson, when we come to realize that whatever affects the world peace affects us. May we never have to learn this again by being dragged into a world-war! But find it out, we will. Then, in spite of our Lodges and Borahs and the drivel of "button-hole patriots," we shall adopt a position of which our national dignity need no longer be ashamed.