Undergraduates Celebrate Second Consecutive Virtual Housing Day

Dean of Students Office Discusses Housing Day, Anti-Racism Goals

Renowned Cardiologist and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Bernard Lown Dies at 99

Native American Nonprofit Accuses Harvard of Violating Federal Graves Protection and Repatriation Act

U.S. Reps Assess Biden’s Progress on Immigration at HKS Event

THE CRIMSON PLAY-GOER

Interesting Production of "Merchant of Venice" at the Boston Opera House This Week.

By W. L. W.

The production of Shakespeare's "Merchant of Venice" at the Boston Opera House is an unusually interesting one; the acting is excellent, the scenery beautiful, and the costumes brilliant. It is a production well worth seeing; a fit vehicle to carry on the fame of Shakespeare.

Mr. Hampden plays the part of Shylock with more than usual passion; he leads the audience to feel the hatred, the fawning servility, and the cruel pride of the Jew. In the scene in which Shylock returns to find his daughter fied, and his money taken, Mr. Hampden overdoes the wild despair of the Usurer, who alternately cries out for his daughter and his ducats. He loses the calculating strength of the Jew's character in the wild passion of his despair. If Mr. Hampden over-emphasizes the emotion of this scene, he brings the tragedy of the situation before the audience, and in the final court scene the sympathy rests with the Jew, despised and hated, hating; scorned and spit upon, seeking revenge; a man broken by his own purpose; tricked by the Christian law. Mr. Hampden, especially, may be congratulated, as this is the first time that he has undertaken the role of Shylock.