FRESHMEN LOSE TO DEAN 8-3.

Visitors Couple Long Hits With Passes and Win Easily

Playing against Dean Academy, the Freshman baseball team lost its first game 8-3 yesterday at Soldiers Field. Long hits coming after bases on balls and coupled with errors in the first half of the contest were responsible for the Crimson's defeat. The yearlings played an uphill game and several times threatened to overcome Dean's four-run lead.

Dean started things off in the first inning when Murphy, the first man at bat, singled cleanly. After being sacrificed to second he scored on Kelly's hit to right. Three more runs were added in the fourth when two passes were sandwiched between two long triples. In the next stanza two unearned runs, due chiefly to errors by M. J. Vitkin, raised the Dean total to five.

The Freshmen finally broke in to the run column in the last of the sixth, G. Owen got a life when Richards fumbled his grounder. Three hits followed in succession, scoring two runs, and with C. C. Lee on third and R. Worthington on first, chances looked good for the yearlings to tie the score. R. H. Keegan, however, lined to the shortstop, Lee was doubled off third, and the opportunity was lost R. P. Field held the Dean batters well in check until the ninth, when they again scored twice.