MR. PETTIT SPEAKS ON SITUATION IN RUSSIA

AT PEACE CONFERENCE

"Russia and the Allies" is the subject of the fourth of the Liberal Club Russian lectures to be given in the Living Room of the Union this evening at 8 o'clock by Mr. Walter C. Pettit, assistant director of the New York School of Social Work. Professor Arthur N. Holcombe '06, of the Department of Government, will preside at the lecture, which will be followed by discussion from the floor.

Mr. Pettit had his first opportunity to study conditions in Russia in 1916-17, when he was attached to the American Embassy in Russia and was entrusted with the interests of the Austrian and German prisoners in the southeast of Russia. After the Revolution of 1917 he left Russia by way of Siberia, studying the country as he travelled through it. On his return to America he received a commission in the United States Army as a captain, attached to the General Staff in Washington in the Russian Political Division of Military Intelligence. After the Armistice he went to the Peace Conference with the American legation, as an expert on the Russian question. Finally, in the spring of 1919, he returned to Russia for three weeks as an assistant to William C. Bullitt, who was in charge of the Bullitt Commission in Russia.