COLLEGE AVIATORS AT MINEOLA IN BIG MEET

BANQUET TOMORROW

Fliers from Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Williams, and the University will this afternoon compete for supremacy in the air when "The College Flying Day" opens at Mineola with a 100-mile cross-country race. E. H. Kelton, Occ., captain of the University fliers, and D. Gregg, 4 E.S., are entered by the Aeronautical Society in this race, the first of the six events on the program.

The other five events which will be held are as follows: an altitude test, a take-off and landing to mark contest, a manoeuyring and acrobatic event, and an alert competition. This last event will be in the nature of an obstacle race. The contestants will prepare their machines for flight and dress in flying togs, the first man off the ground winning. R. Blynn Varnum, Unc., is entered in the acrobatics and manoeuvres; L. T. Lanman '20, in the landing to a mark; J. B. Garver, 1L., in the alert competition, and R. Tuckerman '20, in the altitude flight. The meet starts at 1 o'clock.

Although the race was first conceived and organized by the Intercollegiate Flying Association, of which L. E. Thomas '20 is the president, Army officials at Mitchell Field will be in charge of the contests today, and are supplying the machines used. The fact that the government is supplying the planes has made it necessary, because of legal restrictions, that only reserve officers in the Army air service be allowed to compete. The College Flying Day, then, although to all intents and purposes an intercollegiate event, will be, strictly speaking, a Reserve Officers' Contest.

Fly to Mineola.

The meet today will differ from the ordinary airplane race in that all the flying activities will be directly over the field and in full view of the spectators.

Three of the six fliers from the University took the air route to Mineola Thursday, flying in Army planes from Framingham, making the trip in 2 1-2 hours. The planes flown down, which will be used in the race, were Curtis JH-6H biplanes with Hispano motors, a type of planes used in the Army for advanced training purposes.

All of the fliers on the University team have had considerable experience in the air. Kelton, captain of the team, was attached to the 185th Squadron in France, while the other five either saw service in France as pilots, or as instructors on flying fields in this country.

Trophies Awarded Tomorrow.

Trophies to the contestants have been offered by the American Flying Club, the Aero Club of Massachusetts, and the Cleveland Aviation Club. They will be presented at a banquet of the Intercollegiate Association to be held in the Ritz-Carlton Hotel tomorrow night, when Orville Wright, dean of American aviation, will be the guest of honor. Plans of the association for next year, and its officers, will be announced at this meeting. Among the guests present will be Colonel G. C. Brant, Director of the Army Service in the New York district, and Colonel Moose, commanding officer at Mitchell Field, who is to be in direct charge of the race.

The meet today is taking the place of a long cross-country race which was originally planned by the association. The fact the colleges were unable to secure planes, led them to apply to the government. After considerable consultation with the authorities at Washington, it was considered advisable to hold a contest which would test the proficiency of the fliers more effectively than the more spectacular cross-country race. The College Flying Day, which is much more interesting to spectators, combines the thrills of the long race with a policy of "Safety First.