HEARST'S THIRD PARTY

For these many moons the Hearst papers have been crying the need of a third party. There is need of a third party. A third party, sponsored and financed by Mr. Hearst, would be a blessing to the American people, but not perhaps in exactly the way Mr. Hearst imagines.

It is a shame to name a thing a "problem" in these days of thousands of "vital problems," but the octopus journalist is certainly eligible for this title. Ten million persons are said to buy his papers daily. This particular problem is to ascertain how many persons, besides Mr. Hearst, take Mr. Hearst seriously. The question is how many people are being fooled how much of the time.

A Hearst third party should put the power of the owner of the great syndicate to an acid test. The returns will tell the story of a democracy in which one man can lead millions through the great power of his wealth, or they will tell an altogether different story. They will reveal that people will buy red ink with enthusiasm, devour the Sunday scandal supplement with gusto, and chuckle gleefully over the comic section but, having nibbled the lurid bait they will shy from the hook.

Mr. Hearst's third party should prove one of the greatest and most beneficial jokes of the century.