TRACK TEAM REELECTS O'CONNELL TO CAPTAIN RUNNERS NEXT SEASON

STRONG OLYMPIC PROSPECT

As a result of an election held yesterday, Dennis Francis O'Connell '21 of Dorchester was reelected University track captain. This election is subject to the approval of the Student Council and the Athletic Committee.

O'Connell is the fastest man in the mile run that the University has had for several years. During the past year he has figured prominently in many meets. At the Dartmouth-Cornell and University Triangular Meet held last February in the B. A. A., he won first place in the mile, defeating Brown of Cornell, O'Connell ran in the Penn Relay Meet, the meet with the Institute of Technology and the Yale meet this year, winning first place in the mile in both the two last named meets. His event in the Yale meet was typical of his steady and heady running and went to him in the remarkably fast time of 4 minutes and 24 4-5 seconds.

Prepared at Exeter

Captain O'Connell prepared at Exeter, where he had his first experience on the cinders, running in the mile event and captaining the track team his Senior year. Since entering the University in the fall of 1917 he has been one of the surest point gainers for the University and Freshman teams, captaining both the cross-country and relay teams for the Freshmen. In that year against Yale he covered the distance over the four-mile Belmont course in record time.

Served in Naval Aviation

During the war O'Connell served in the ground school for naval aviation at Technology and was only prevented from receiving his commission by an attack of combined influenza and pneumonia.

O'Connell was prevented from entering either the Princeton or Intercollegiate meets this year due to a sprained ankle. This injury is, however, not serious and he intends to compete for the Olympic team, for which he will begin training within a short time. Six men will be picked to go across in the mile run and O'Connell has excellent possibilities of being one of these. Men such as Ray of the University of Chicago, McDermott, captain of the Cornell track team, will be contestants against him.