UNIVERSITY AND 1923 CREWS TAKE TWO SPINS

FOUR-OAR BOAT ORGANIZED

GALES FERRY, CONN., June 10.--The University and Freshman oarsmen put in a day of stiff work; rowing twice, once in the morning, and once in the afternoon. The rowing conditions were excellent; the total absence of wind making the river very smooth. The men are rapidly getting into condition and are only bothered by a few cases of boils and universally prevalent sunburn.

Coach Haines took the two University crews downstream two miles for the morning workout, while the 1923 men practiced under Coach Burt Haines' direction. In the afternoon, "Bill" Haines spent a considerable amount of time polishing up the Freshmen, and then later took the University crews upstream for a three-mile pull.

The crews rowed in their regular order today without exception. No time trials were held, but during the afternoon spin the University crews hit it up to thirty-five for an eighth of a mile or more.

Good Showing Made

Coach Haines is well pleased with the showing the crews have made today, and feels that improvement has been made already. In the remaining time of steady crew work, less cut up by examinations than the past few days have been, much more rapid progress is expected to be made.

Arrangements about the races have finally been completed. The crews will start at the New London bridge and row upstream, finishing in front of the 1923 quarters at Red Top.

The Yale crews go past the University buildings daily, and appear to be in first-class condition. They are using a typically English stroke, with a long body swing, which is in distinct contrast to the modified Harvard stroke. There seems to be plenty of power in the boat, as all the Elis are big, heavy men.

Coach Nickalls, accompanied by Capt. Peters of the Yale crew, called on Coach Haines yesterday, dropping in at Red Top after the afternoon work-out.

Arrangements for the observation trains which follow the races have finally been completed between the managements of the Harvard and Yale crews and the railroads. Restrictions have been placed on the plans to such an extent by the latter that only 2500 can be accommodated.