CREW MEN DESERT RED TOP AND TAKE SUNDAY EXCURSION ON SOUND

FAST TIME TRIAL HELD BY ELIS ON THAMES SATURDAY

Yesterday the entire University crew squad was the guest of H. S. Morgan, freshman captain, aboard the yacht "Corsair." Starting at 9 o'clock in the morning, an extended excursion on Long Island Sound was taken, and the party did not return to headquarters at Red Top until late in the afternoon. The men were greatly cheered by the relief this trip afforded from the monotony of daily workouts.

A feature late Saturday afternoon was a race of half a mile between the 1923 crew and a combination eight made up of coaches, old Harvard oarsmen and substitutes. The race was exciting from start to finish, but the Freshmen managed to finish half a length ahead of the combination crew. The line-up of the combination was as follows:

Bow, E. Perkins '23; 2, D. H. Morris '21; 3, Coach Burt Haines; 4, C. K. Cummings Jr. '23; 5, E. Bacon '10; 6, P. Withington '09; 7, J. N. Borland 2d '21; stroke, Coach William Haines; coxswain, R. H. Hopkins '22.

On Saturday the Yale first crew held a very successful time trial over the four mile course on the Thames, covering the course in 20 minutes and 40 seconds, nearly the record for the course. Conditions were excellent, a northwest wind helping the shell considerably. In addition, there was a strong tide which favored the boat. The second Eli crew paced the first eight for the first two-mile stretch, the yearlings replacing them over the last half of the course.