The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

COMMENT

Putting Harvard Closer to the Schools

It would seem as though the hardships of which American university and college professors complain are not a peculiar product of the American climate. The glaring discrepancy between the ever-rising cost of necessaries and a stationary remuneration for services recognized to be of the highest importance to the community is a world phenomenon.

A writer is "L'Europe Nouvelle" complains that a mail carrier in France is paid better than a public school teacher, and two university graduates, possessing equal qualifications, will in 30 years earn a salary of 18,000 and 9,000 francs respectively if one enters the service of the state as an engineer and the other as a college professor.

Still, according to the same testimony, the French college teacher, however ill-favored, is fortunate above his American colleague. During the war, we are told, professors in French secondary and upper schools were granted an increase of salary amounting to 105 per cent.

This may should like Eldorado to the American instructor; but the gratitude of the French universitaire is impaired by his knowledge that a factory inspector serving under the government has obtained an advance of 130 per cent, and a supervisor of weights and measures, another minor official, one of 180 per cent.

The same article remarks that the European country where professors enjoyed best treatment in the civil service--and in all Continental countries the teacher is almost invariably a state employee--was, of all nations, Czaristic Russia. Under the "Tchin," or semimilitary hierarchy instituted by Peter the Great and in force up to the revolution, a Russian college professor had the rank and salary of a lieutenant-colonel. Evan in Germany, where a similar, if less rigid, standardization of officialdom prevailed, the professor's rating was that of a major only. --New York Tribune.