YALE SECOND CREW IN RACE ON THAMES MAKE NEW RECORD

Practice Race Under Ideal Conditions Given Time of 9 Mins. ED Secs. on Two-Mile Course

Yale's second crew in its morning practice covered a two-mile course, down-stream, and under good conditions, in 9 minutes 54 seconds. The crew was paced by the freshman eight, which covered the distance in 9 minutes 57 2-5 seconds. The second crew won with 10 feet of clear water between the shells. Records kept by Yale oarsmen indicate that the performance of both crews broke the records for the two miles in practice. In 1900 a Yale eight covered the two mile in 10 minutes 3 seconds.

The second crew covered the first half-mile in 2 minutes 20 seconds, and the first mile in 4 minutes 47 seconds. It started with a 34 stroke for one minute, dropped to 33 and then to 32, and in the final spurt went to 35. The freshmen traveled a beat or two less than the second crew at all times. Four watches in the coaches' launch caught the times alike. The seating of the second boat was the same as yesterday, Lovejoy still being out.

The first university crew rowed a fast half-mile as a part of its morning practice.

F. H. Lovejoy at No. 6 has been elected captain of the second crew and B. L. Hemenway captain of the combination crew.