RESOLUTION ADOPTED ON IRISH QUESTION

Loyal Coalition Mass Meeting Hears President Eliot, Alexander Gordon and Demarest Lloyd

More than 200 University students, members of the Faculty and residents of Cambridge, at a mass meeting held Thursday evening in Brattle Hall under the auspices of the Loyal Coalition, unanimously adopted the following resolution:

"Whereas; the present Congress has before it for consideration many urgent and hitherto neglected matters pertaining to the welfare of America; and

"Whereas; there remains only two more days before adjournment;

"Resolved, by citizens of Cambridge and Boston and by members of the Faculty and student body assembled in Brattle Hall, Cambridge, Massachusetts, June 3d, 1920, that members of the House of Representatives confine their attention to American problems, and particularly that they avoid by official or unofficial act any interference in the so-called Irish question, which is not the proper concern of any department of the Government of the United States, and least of all that of the House of Representatives of the United States, and

"Be it further Resolved: that this resolution be sent by telegraph to the President of the United States, the Secretary of State, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, the Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee, and all Massachusetts congressmen; and that it be given the widest publicity in the press."

J. F. Linder Jr. '19 presided at the meeting and introduced as the first speaker Demarest Lloyd, president of the Loyal Coalition of Boston. Mr. Lloyd outlined some of the reasons for action against the vicious influences at work today in American politics, particularly those endeavoring to use the United States as a tool to meddle in the domestic affairs of Great Britain for the furthering of the movement for an "Irish Republic" in the heart of that Empire.

The next speaker, Alexander Gordon of New York, an American banker and broker who served in the British army and rose to the rank of lieutenant, spoke on the subject of friendship among the great English-speaking peoples, especially Great-Britain and the United States. He exposed many of the lies that today are being circulated for the purpose of disrupting those relations.

President Eliot, who delivered the next address, spoke at length on the desirability of the preservation and furthering of the existing friendship among English-speaking peoples. He also touched upon the fact that through fear of various consequences newspapers today suppress much news that the public should know, news that often would clarify circumstances and give a more correct version of affairs. He declared that newspapers are practically subsidized by their patrons, particularly advertisers.