RECORD ATTENDANCE AT SUMMER SCHOOL EXPECTED

112 COURSES ARE TO BE OFFERED

A record attendance at the 1920 session of the Harvard Summer School is expected on the basis of applications for admission already received at the office of the Summer School in Cambridge.

So many people have applied that, although the six-week session does not begin until July 6, all the available rooms in Gore Hall have already been assigned to women who will attend the school, and there is a waiting list. Plans have been made to reserve Smith Hall for men students at the Summer School, instead of Standish Hall, a smaller dormitory which has hitherto been given over to men. Never before have so many applications been received at such an early date.

Officials of the Summer School plan to help students who cannot secure rooms in the Freshman halls to find rooms in private houses and apartments.

Last year the Summer School held two sessions in order to enable the students who had been absent during the war to make up deficiencies in their academic records. This year it will return to the normal single session, lasting from July 6 to August 14. The usual custom will be observed of expecting a student to take only one course.

No less than 112 courses will be offered. In addition to members of the Harvard Faculty such as Dean Charles H. Haskins of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Dean Henry W. Holmes of the Graduate School of Education, Professor Ralph Barton Perry, Professor Kirsopp Lake, Professor T. N. Carver and Professor C. T. Copeland, there will be 19 visiting instructors representing universities and schools in many parts of the country.

The office of the Summer School will move on June 26 from University Hall to Sever Hall, which will be entirely given up to offices and classrooms of the Summer School during the term of six weeks.

Courses in Engineering will be conducted as usual at the Harvard Engineering Camp at Squam Lake, N. H., which will be opened for the first time since the war, beginning on June 26. The camp will, as usual, be under the direction of Professor Hector J. Hughes of the Harvard Engineering School. The courses at the camp, although primarily intended for students in Harvard College and the Harvard Engineering School, will be open also to qualified men students who register at the Harvard Summer School. The Engineering School is also giving certain courses in Engineering this summer, in connection with its new plan of industrial cooperation, and qualified students may be admitted to these courses by arrangement.