YALE CREWS GO TO GALES FERRY--PLANS UNSETTLED

Eli University Boat Handicapped by Illness of Lovejoy and Flagg--Several Shifts Made

The line-up and many other details of organization of the Yale crews which leave New Haven today for Gales Ferry, Ct., where they will begin the final intensive stages of training in preparation for the regatta with the University shells on June 25 are in an unusually unsettled condition.

Since the Elis' crushing defeat by Princeton and Cornell on Lake Carnegie, numerous changes have been instituted in the seating of both the first and second eights. Two of the best oarsmen in the university boat, Lovejoy and Flagg, are recovering from slight illnesses and will not go to Gales Ferry in the best of condition. At present John Schieffelin is occupying Lovejoy's position at No. 6, and Driscoll is rowing in Flagg's at No. 7. Both these positions are, however, entirely unsettled. Another shift has been the transfer of Allen from bow to No. 2, and the promotion of Mali to bow from the same position on the second eight. Mali, in spite of his 150 pounds, has proved one of the best oarsmen on the squad. Allen, whose place he takes, rowed bow on last season's crew. The Freshman crew is just rounding into some semblance of form and practically no changes have been made since its defeat by Cornell and Princeton.

Coach Nickalls in Charge

In addition to supervising the coaching, Guy Nickalls will have general charge of the party at Gales Ferry, while Coach Van Santvoord, a former Oxford oarsman, will direct the Freshmen. Coach Enders, last year bow car on the Yale crew, will conduct the coaching of the combination eight, an innovation which will be formed this year from four substitutes from the first shell and four from the Freshman. This will form a part of the preliminary program to be rowed on June 24, the day preceding the formal regatta. In addition, there will be a contest between graduates and possibly another for single scullers.

The three shells leave for Gales Ferry boated in the following order:

First Eight--Stroke, Captain Peters; 7, Driscoll; 6, Schieffelin; 5, Ellis; 4, Hord; 3, Allen; 2, Moulten; bow, Mali; coxswain, Carson.

Second Eight--Stroke, Cheney; 7, Flagg; 6, Lawrence; 5, Rockefeller; 4, Walker; 3, Robinson; 2, Carman; bow, Whitney; coxswain, Hadden.

Freshman--Stroke, Platt; 7, Russell; 6, Pelley; 5, Gates; 4, C. Trowbridge; 3, E. Trowbridge; 2, Jackson; bow, Wheeler; coxswain, Chase.