MAJOR GOETZ PROMOTED

GENERAL SNOW INSPECTS UNIT

Major R.C.F. Goetz, professor of Military Science and Tactics at the University, has received notification from the War Department of his promotion from the rank of captain to that of major. For the past year and a half, Major Goetz has been in charge of the instruction in Field Artillery training at the University, and under his direction the Military Science Department has been developed.

He was graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1909 and assigned to the cavalry. From 1909 until 1912 he saw service on the Mexican Border and on the Navaho Indian Reservation. In 1912 he was selected for a year's instruction at the Mounted Service School at Fort Riley. From then until 1917 Major Goetz was on foreign service, part of the time acting as aide to Brigadier General C.C. Edwards. During the war Major Goetz was a temporary colonel in charge of a replacement brigade at Camp Jackson.

R.O.T.C. Unit Receives New Material

During the summer a great deal of new equipment has arrived; the old equipment inspected and put in order, and the training plant prepared for the coming winter's work. Thirty flat saddles of the Saumur type, French officer's field model, have been procured for the instruction in equitation. For the past two weeks the horses assigned to the outfit have been in pasture at Camp Devens, and tomorrow they will be brought back to Cambridge over the road by the enlisted personnel of the Artillery Unit.

Major General Snow, chief of Field Artillery, inspected the training detachment at the University last week and expressed himself as well pleased with the system of instruction developed by Major Goetz. He will make another inspection tour in a few weeks in order to see the units actually at work.

Major Goets is at his office in the basement of University Hall daily from 9 A.M. 12 M., and from 1-5 P.M., where information about the Field Artillery courses.