UNIVERSITY ARTILLERY MEN AT SUMMER CAMP

PRACTICAL INSTRUCTION GIVEN IN GUNNERY AND EQUITATION

The first summer camp, attended by '28 members of the University Field Artillery. R.O. T. C., ended a six weeks' course at Camp Knox, Sitholon, Ky, on July 28. About 2b percent of the members of the University R.O.T.C attended the camp, a larger percentage than that of any other college. Numerically the detachment was larger than that of either Yale, Princeton or Council.

The University men were assigned, together with men from Cornell, the University of Oklahoma and Culver Military Academy to "E" Battery, which was commanded by Captain T.J.J. Christian, Cav., U.S.A., head of the Cornell Artillery, R.O.T.C.

Temporary cadet officers and noncoms were appointed, and the battery was organized into sections according to colleges. The University detachment comprised the second platoon of the battery, with H.H. Hudson '23 as cadet lieutenant, and G.R., Sithers '23 and T. Barker '22 as section chiefs.

The first 10 days of instruction were devoted to close order drill, diamounted; topography, equitation, gun drill and pistol firing. For firing with the 3-inch guns the battery was organized into gun sections, with the members of the advanced course acting as the battery commander's detail. Two gun sections were composed entirely of men from the University, with H.H. Hudson '23 and E.A. Norman '23 acting as section chiefs.

Firing on the artillery range began during the second week of camp and continued throughout the course, culminating in two 15-minute barrages, fired by the cadets themselves on the last day of work.

Students Direct Fire From Balloon

Each battery had three mornings a week on the range, the basic course students manning the guns, while the advances course students directed the fire, either from a balloon, from the battery commander's station, or from a interal observation post, "E" battery made remarkable progress in this department, and at the time of a visit from the chief of Field Artillery, it was chosen to fire several problems for his benefit. He complimented the gun squads in particular for their remarkably fine work.

Major Goetz, professor of Military Science and Tactics at the University, directed the instruction in equitation. Every day each battery was marched to the stables of the 81st Field Artillery, where they were assigned horses. Riding instruction began the course, and as the men improved they were given instruction in driving in gun teams. During the last week of camp the training regiment went of a three-day hike, spending two nights out under shelter tents.

Entertainment for Cadets

Men were free each night after evening mess, which came at 6.30, until taps. The Camp Knox Officers' Club extended its privileges to the students and held two dances each week for their benefit. Each night some sort of entertainment was provided in the R.O.T.C. area, and during the week-ends men were allowed to be absent from camp from noon on Saturday until taps on Sunday. The Louisville Country Club invited the men to their--Saturday dances and allowed the cadets all guest privileges Riding passes were provided for those who stayed at camp. Besides these recreational facilities, several trips were arranged for the cadets, one to the Kentucky Army Horse Show, a trip down the Ohio, an excursion to Lincoln's birthplace and a visit to Mammoth Cave.

The camp commander was Major A.L.P. Sands, F.A., acting commander of the 81st Field Artillery. He was ably asslated by Major Hoyle.