FOOTBALL RULES DEFINED

"CLIPPING" IS NOW PROHIBITED

Over 200 football officials met in the Biltmore. Hotel, New York city, on Thursday evening to clear up definitions of the new rules. The officials, all of whom were on the roster of approved officials, met in conjunction with the rules committee. Fred W. Moore '93, graduate treasurer of the Athletic Association and a member of the rules committee, attended the meeting.

The most important resolution adopted by the officials was that regarding "clipping." The resolution was as follows: "That in the opinion of the officials, cutting down from behind (that is, throwing the body laterally from behind across the legs or leg below the knee of a player not carrying the ball) shall be penalized as unnecessary roughness."

Ruling on Kick-off

Another interpretation of the rules was made clear in regard to Rule 7, Section 2. This rule is in effect that a ball going out of bounds on the kick-off shall be a dead ball and must be kicked off again. The officials decided that if a ball crosses the goal line and then goes across the side lines extended it shall be a free ball and may be either kicked out or counted as a touch-back.

The rule which caused much discussion was Rule 9, Section 5, which reads to the effect that before the ball is snapped back by the center, only one man on the team may be moving. The controversy arose in the interpretation of the word "moving." It was finally decided that as long as both feet were on the ground the player might move his body.