NEW WAY TO MEET FRENCH AND GERMAN PRESCRIPTIONS

New Ruling by College Office Gives Student Choice of Methods of Getting by "Orals"

A new method of meeting the French and German requirements is offered to undergraduates this year. It is explained in the following notice from the College office:

All undergraduates who have been students in Harvard College before the beginning of the current academic year must pass before the end of their second year a special oral examination to test their power of translating either French or German. Opportunity to take either or both of these examinations will be given on the afternoon of Tuesday, October 5. Students who wish to take in place of the oral examination, the written examination to test their reading knowledge of either French or German, may do so on Tuesday, October 5, at 5 P. M. in Emerson D. All candidates who wish to take the oral or the written examination must notify the Recorder, 4 University Hall, in writing, on or before Thursday, September 30. Each candidate will then be notified when and where to present himself for the oral examination.

Requirements for New Students

Students entering Harvard College for the first time at the beginning of the current academic year are required (normally before their Junior year in Harvard College) to give evidence of a reading knowledge of either French or German and an elementary knowledge of the other of these two languages.

The requirement of an elementary knowledge must be met (1) by translating satisfactorily passages of French or German of the same difficulty as those set in the final examination in French A or German A in Harvard College; or (2) by passing with a grade not lower than C either French A or German A or a similar course in another college or an elementary admission examination (based on two years of secondary school instruction) in French or German; or (3) by passing either an advanced admission examination (based on three years of secondary school instruction) or a college course in the French or the German language of higher grade than French A or German A.

For students who choose method (1), a written one-hour examination will be held on Friday, October 1, at 5 P. M., in Emerson D, provided they apply for this examination on a blank to be obtained at the Recorder's office on or before Thursday, September 30.

The reading knowledge of the other language will also be tested by a special one-hour written examination. This examination will be held on Tuesday, October 5, at 5 P. M., in Emerson D, provided students apply for it, on or before Thursday, September 30, on a blank to be obtained at Recorder's office.

Upper classmen in Harvard College who wish to avail themselves of the new requirements in French and German to remove the prescription of French A or German A, should, personally, consult the Recorder at 4 University Hall, not later than Thursday, September 30