WINGATE TROPHY GOES TO CONLON; LINCOLN AWARDED WENDELL BAT

FALL PRACTICE STARTED WITH INFORMAL GAME

A. J. Conlon '22 of Winchester, stellar shortstop on the University nine last season has been awarded the Dana J. P. Wingate Cup, to be held for one year, for showing the best all-round ability on the diamond last season. The Barrett Wendell Jr. trophy bat has been given to E. C. Lincoln '22 of Hingham for the strongest performance on the offense. The awards are subject to the approval of the Athletic Committee.

Conlon, whose playing was one of the best performances of the intercollegiate season, prepared at Woburn High School and Exeter. At the later school, under Coach Carney, he developed into a brilliant fielder and powerful hitter. In his Freshman year at the University he captained the successful 1922 team. Last season Conlon was so well thought of that Captain R. W. Emmons 3d Occ. was moved from shortstop to the keystone sack to allow Conlon to play his usual position.

The Barrett Wendell Jr. trophy is awarded on a point system; and Lincoln, with a total of 75 points, was first. Safe arrivals at first base, sacrifice hits, stolen bases and runs scored each count one point towards the bat. Conlon trailed Lincoln with 71 points, closely followed by Emmons, who registered 65.

Fall Practice Under Way

At the first practice of the year, held yesterday at Soldiers Field, 30 candidates for the University baseball team reported to Coach Jack Slattery. Among them were the majority of the regular players on last spring's University and Freshman nines, with the exception of a few men playing football.

The veterans of the 1920 squad now working out daily are E. F. Goode '22 and H. S. Russell '22, pitchers; F. W. Crocker '22 and W. J. Banes '22, utility players; A. Blair '21, veteran catcher; Captain R. W. Emmons 3d Occ. and E. C. Lincoln '22, regular infielders. Promising 1923 players include Captain D. F. Thayer, P. W. Butman, T. f. Oakes, R. H. Keegan, R. P. Field, J. S. Clark Jr. and J. C. Watson.

Scrub Teams Lined Up

After a short preliminary workout, the men were divided into two equal scrub teams, which lined up as follows: Team A: Watson, p.; Keegan, c.; Crocker, 1b.; S. B. Chase Jr. '22, 2b.; Banes, 3b.; A. T. Kent '22, s.s.; Hinckle, r.f.; S.J. Young '23, c.f.; D. H. Kerr '23, l.f.

Team B: Field, p.; Blair, c.; Bigelow, 1b.; Emmons, 2b.; Lincoln, 3b.; R. B. Shaw '21, s.s.; J. G. Allen '22, r.f.; Thayer c.f.; Clark, l.f.

The informal game, umpired by Goode, was marked by indifferent hitting and some loose playing, and after six innings was won by Team B by the score of 1 to 0.

As long as the weather permits practice will be held daily. Games are planned for three afternoons a week with nearby industrial teams.