"THE HOME STRETCH"

Exactly two weeks from this morning the University will be facing its last day of grace before the annual deluge of mid-year examinations sets in. It is hard to realize that half of this year has already slipped away, and that we are on the home stretch of the first term, but the fact is only too true.

The approach of mid-years, however, indicates more than the more passing of time; it also means that the undergraduate must give up a few of his pleasures and outside activities, in order to apply himself in some measure to his neglected text-books and tutoring schools. For inside of two weeks there must be injected into his world-weary brain all the knowledge which for the last three months he has allowed to slide joyfully from his thoughts. What is worse, failure to do this will result in the outlawry of probation, and all the shocks that undergraduates are heir to.

It is a terrible situation, but it must be faced, and soon. Examinations are to the undergraduate what "death and taxes" are to the business man--necessary evils of existence. The best we can do is to attempt to meet them creditably, and so prove our right to the fellowship of which we are a part.

Two weeks is a short time in which to prepare for the day of judgment, but the University has done it countless times before and can do it again. At any rate, it is better to assay and fail than to lie supine and helpless before the onslaught.