T. B. AUGUR WINS TROPHY IN TOPIARIAN COMPETITION

G. H. Lea '10 and K. E. Gardner '10 Win Second and Third Among Sixteen Contestants

First place in the Annual Competition for the Topiarian Club Trophy, open to students in the School of Landscape Architecture has been awarded to Tracy Baldwin Augur, 2G.L.A., of Brooklyn, N. Y. Second and third places have been awarded to Guy Hunter Lee, 3G.L.A., of Chestnut Hill, and Kennett Alexander Gardner '16, 3G.L.A., of West, Somerville. Mention was awarded to George French Ingalls, 3G.L.A., of Waukegan, Ill.

The sixteen drawings submitted were judged yesterday afternoon by a jury consisting of Professor J. S. Pray '95, Professor H. V. Hubbard '97 and Mr. Loring Underwood '97, a prominent Boston landscape designer, whose lectures on Colonial gardens are widely known.

Lay Out Country Club Plans

The competition was a problem in landscape design. The competitors were furnished with topographic maps of a given piece of property supposed to be along the Charles River. On the assumption that a benefactor had given money to the Toplarian Club (of which men in the School of Landscape Architecture are members) for a small country club, the plans submitted included a garden for pleasure and experimental growth of plants, tennis courts, a boat house for canoes, and other arrangements for the pleasure of the members of the club.

This is the tenth competition for the trophy which was given to the Toplarian Club by an unknown donor and competed for annually. The winner has his name inscribed on the trophy, of which he has custody until the next competition. An exhibition of the competition drawings will be held in the Library of the School of Landscape Architecture from January 14-24.