THE FULL SIGNIFICANCE OF THE "INVISIBLE GUEST"

Those who were fortunate enough to hear Herbert Hoover's remarkably restrained but telling speech at Symphony Hall could not but be impressed with a fuller realization of the significance of the "Invisible Guest." Most of us had thought of saving the lives of several million children as a purely philanthropic service, and were willing to give generously to that cause. But when we look at it in its full significance, it is impossible not to be moved even more deeply to the importance of giving to the limit.

As Mr. Hoover said, "Peace is not the product of documents, but the product of good will among men." It is not only by saving the lives of these "starving mites," but by the fostering of "good will among men" that the "Invisible Guest" is of service to humanity. It is difficult to comprehend the indelible impression that is left in the minds of over three million children as they eat American food under the protection of the American flag in the 17,000 canteens which the American Relief Commission is operating. The recollection of their indebtedness to American generosity will do more than anything else in our power to dispel the horrid shadow of war and give these wretched children a real faith in humanity, and a conviction that fellowship among nations is not fiction. Even though many might exist without our help, is it not worth the cost to start this coming generation in the world with a Christian, not a barbaric outlook? No wonder that Mr. Hoover said that he would rather have the American flag implanted in the hearts of these children than over any citadel in Europe.