AMHERST SWAMPED BY UNIVERSITY FIVE

TOLBERT SHINES ON DEFENSE

Amherst, Mass., Jan. 21.--Another victory was chalked up by the University five last evening when it defeated Amherst, 45-24, at Amherst. The Crimson team, starting off at the first whistle with the fine form it showed at the finish of the Tufts game, kept a strong upper hand over its opponents till the finish. The inconsistency of the Amherst shooting and passing was the team's greatest weakness. The defense, especially Snider, was strong, making the University players attempt long shots, with which, however, they were unusually successful. Card, eluding the University defense for four baskets, was Amherst's heavy scorer. He was the strongest player of his team, but because of the frequent substitutions he was unable to count on his men for any team play. He and Lee were the leading offenders in the many fouls during the game, both being ejected for four personals.

Although the University team's shooting was good its passing was often inaccurate. The clever footwork of Fitts and the agility of Pallo were the features of the game, and their combination play was dazzling. Captain Tolbert used his size to very good advantage in breaking up Amherst's forward rushes. MsLeish and Chase, sent in for the second half, did not seem to weaken the team's playing. The game was well attended and enthusiastic. UNIVERSITY  AMHERST. Fitts, McLeish, r.f.  l.g., Palmer (captain) Pallo, l.f.  r.g., Snider Tyson, Fitts, c.  c., Lee, Lamberton, Stewart Feiring, Chase, r.g.  l.f., Hill, Card, Wray Tolbert (captain), l.g.  r.f., Seyler Hill, Tyler

Goals from floor, Fitts 6, Pallo 5, Tyson, Feiring 3, Tolbert, Card 4, Lee 2, Tyler, Hill, Snider, Seyler. Goals from fouls, Pallo 7, Snider 4; missed, Pallo 10, Snider 7. Referee, Otto. Timekeeper, Jones.