ONE WAY OUT

The appointment of a committee of sixty-two graduates to assist in solving the financial problems of the University is a practical decision. The announcement in President Lowell's report of a "staggering deficit" has apparently struck home and the call is being answered by properly qualified men. As President Lowell pointed out, the responsibility of financial management connot rest with the faculty. Their task is to carry on the mechanical work of education itself. Cooperating with them must be a force of business men to take care of the business questions that are continually arising.

That Yale has a deficit to confront similar to Harvard's is apparent, and its solution has been facilitated by an already established Alumni fund. Harvard alumni have realized that occasional concentrated efforts, such as the Endowment Fund, are not sufficient. Some permanent organization is needed which shall at all times be at the service of the University. Besides helping to devise methods of keeping the college in funds, the new committee will serve as an additional means of furthering alumni interest in Harvard affairs.