Mr. David Warfield Gives Distinguished Performance

"The Return of Peter Grimm" Is Revived at the Tremont

By G. H.

Occasionally during the theatrical season, the Boston public is favored with the performance, of a piece which can rank with the highest of its type. Such is the appearance of David Warfield in "The Return of Peter Grimm" at the Tremont Theatre. It is ten years since Mr. Warfield first took the title role of David Belasco's psychic play in Boston, and its continued appropriateness today shows, perhaps, the small advance which psychic research has made in the last decade. The dialogue at the close of the third act may appear to some persons rather too one-sided and long; to others the bits of ghost humor may seem out of place, but when Peter Grimm finally leaves this world to return no more; everyone with an artistic sense carries home the impression of seeing drama at its best.

Mr. Warfield gives to Peter Grimm a characterization which is nearly unique among this season's impersonations in its strength and care of detail,--opera glasses can detect no flaws of facial expression. Peter Grimm lives before the audience. Mr. Warfield's supporting cast is a good one, and the problems of lighting and scenery, obviously so vital to the success of a supernatural effect, are adequately solved and well-managed.

For a sketch of the plot, a re-reading of the title, "The Return of Peter Grimm" will almost suffice. Peter Grimm is an eccentric, rich flower gardener who boasts of his old Dutch ancestry. In his household are his ward. Catherine, a nephew and a secretary. For the life of each Peter Grimm has a set plan, made without consulting the persons most concerned in its fulfilment. He dies suddenly, returns as a ghost to his house, and sees the ill-conceived plans changed as he himself would have had them, had he been enlightened as to their consequences. The two weeks for which the play is scheduled to run here is but a short time for a piece of such dramatic worth, and one can only wish Mr. Warfield appreciative audiences during his brief revival.