PICK MEN FOR 1924 AND UNIVERSITY RELAY

FRESHMAN QUARTET SELECTED

After the time trials held yesterday at Soldiers Field, Coach Donovan announced a tentative roster of the relay teams which will represent the University at the B. A. A. games. To pick the men for the University two-mile relay team, a half-mile race was held. Before the race, Coach Donovan announced the time in which each lap was to be run, planning a race which was to be completed in very good time. All of the first five men to finish came in under this time. The order of finishing was Capt. D. F. O'Connell '21, Bayard Wharton '22, C. E. Dexter '22, J. A. McCarthy '22, W. C. Bennett '23. The first three men are practically sure of a place on the team. H. P. Davis '21, who reported too late to run in the race, was given a time trial, and handed in remarkably good time. He will give Bennett and McCarthy a good race for fourth place.

In the time trials for the University one-mile relay, C. H. Wansker '23 made the best time, while close after him were Richard Chute '22, E. O. Gourdin '21, Vinton Chapin '23, and R. D. Howard '23. After further trials four of these men will be chosen for the team.

The 1924 one-mile relay team has been selected. The four men composing the team finished in the following order in the time trials: Thomas Merrill A. S. Simmons, Thomas Campbell, Percy Jenkins.

A training table has been established in the Smith Halls Dining Room for these men and three others.

The fine weather yesterday was a great help to the relay men in turning in good times. Unless another cold wave comes, the relay teams will have an excellent opportunity for practice in the next few days. While the weather has been a handicap to the men, Coach Bingham expresses satisfaction with the showing so far.

Track practice will be held at the regular times during the mid-year period, as it is but a very, short time before the B. A. A. games.