THE PRACTICE OF "CRIBBING"

At all times, but particularly at examination periods, the question of "cribbing" comes before the undergraduate. He who has done but little studying often faces the temptation of "getting by" through the work of another. So frequently has the moral side of this question been debated that to preach is but to reiterate arguments already familiar. "Cribbing" comes down to a matter of personal welfare,--that is, the welfare of the man who later in life is going to use the knowledge he has gained while an undergraduate.

The man who deliberately plans to "put one over" on the Faculty is not the clear thinker. He is still immature, still the small boy with a spit-ball mania. To him, his teacher is some far-off monster forcing down his throat--teaching--something that he is convinced will do him no good. His imagination makes his deceitfulness seem clever and in his cleverness he loses sight of the fact that the teacher is not the person who is there to teach but the person from whom he can learn. Failure to learn on the part of the student is no loss to the instructor. The loss is with the student, and whether or not the Office recognizes his aeception, he will have cause to regret it before he has travelled far in the world. Learning can only come from study. He who abuses his privilege of preparing for life can do injury only to himself.