UNIVERSITY QUINTET WINS FROM M. A. C., 25-21

CAPT. TOLBERTS ABSENCE FELT

Revealing a much more finished and fighting game in the second than shown in the first half, the University basketball team managed to defeat the Massachusetts Agricultural College in the last ten minutes of play last evening, in Hemenway Gymnasium, by a 25-21 score. At the end of the first period, M. A. C. was leading 11-9, after twenty minutes of slow, dispirited playing by both teams. Captain Tolbert was greatly missed in the defense and in maintaining aggressive playing. Neither team, during the first half, showed any finish, driving power, or team-work. Frequent fouling also did its part to slow the play, Roser passing his limit in the second half. The M. A. C. attacks were slow-moving, using the back-pass much too frequently. On the whole the University team was the better appearing throughout the game, but it was not until the second half that it struck its stride.

University's Defense Strong

Acting Captain Fitts, although not up to his usual standard, was the strongest man in the University line-up. Several of his dashes and defensive plays were spectacular. Feiring was effective in blocking, and Chase, in the second period, forced his opponents to shoot frequently from mid-floor. Because of ineffectiveness Miller and Pallo were taken out at the end of the first period, but the latter showed, in the second, that he could still be relied upon. Although the M. A. C. men were tall and rangy, he managed often to get around and from under them with the ball.

Captain Gowdy was strong in stopping University attacks. The mainstay of the M. A. C. team, he played hard and steadily. Roser, until removed, was a continual threat to the University players.

Fitts Makes First Score

Fitts was the first man to score, taking a pass from Tyson, but Thompson retaliated. Two fouls for the University made it possible for Roser to score twice. M. A. C. held the lead until the University rally, when Pallo, Tyson and Chase scored. UNIVERSITY  M. A. C. Fitts, r.f.  l.g., Gowdy Pallo, McLeish, l.f.  r.g., Thompson Tyson, McLeish, c.  c., Marshman Eeiring, r.g.  l.f., Smith Miller, Chase, l.g.  r.f., Roser Ball

Score, Harvard 25, M. A. C. 21. Goats from floor, Fitts 4, Tyson 2, Pallo, Chase, Roser 3, Smith 2, Thompson 2, Gowdy. Goals from fouls, Pallo 9, Roser 4, Marshman. Referee, Hoyt, Umpire, McGuiness, Timekeeper, Lincoln '23. Time of halves, 20 minutes.