Warm Welcome Is Accorded Latest Shubert Production

"Love Birds" Has Pat Rooney and Marion Bent as Stars

By A. B. H.

"Love Birds," the new musical comedy of Max Wilner and Sigmund Romberg, met with an enthusiastic reception on its opening night at the Shubert Theatre last Monday. It uncovers nothing essentially new to its field, yet is replete with little details of originality that make it well worth seeing. The end of the first act drags somewhat, but the second starts with a rush that is well maintained from then on. There is also no little plot, flitting unblushingly from a New York fashion shop to a Persian harem.

Pat Rooney as "Pat" was well received, and though his performance savors a bit of vaudeville, he is the life of the comedy. Marion Bent as "Mamie O'Grady" is attractive and carries her part well. Elizabeth Hines as "Allene" sings very well, perhaps at no time better than in the "Trousseau Incomplete," and is blessed with a personality that is quite unusual. Richard Bold as "Arthur" sings a delightful tenor to her, and it is this pair who render "The Two Little Love Birds." Elizabeth Murray affords a very good and very broguish "Jennie O'Hars," handles her role very well.

"The Two Little Love Birds," the song upon which the comedy depends most, cannot but remind one of "The Love Nest," somewhat by its theme, somewhat by its music. But if not lasting, it is at least successful, and this may well be said of the whole production.