DR. GRENFELL TO SPEAK IN UNION ON THURSDAY

AUTHOR OF SEVERAL BOOKS

Dr. Wilfred T. Grenfell, M.A., '09, famous for his work among the natives of Labrador, will speak in the Living Room of the Union Thursday evening, January 6, at 8 o'clock. Dr. Grenfell will tell of this experiences in the north, of his work with the people and of institutions in Labrador with which he is connected. The lecture will be open to all members of the Union.

Dr. Grnefell began active practice as a medical missionary in England in 1887 and not many years afterwards became intensely interested in the problems and needs of Labrador which his early work there presented to him. From small beginnings, through constant and untiring work--in which he has been aided from time to time by a number of graduates and undergraduates of the University, particularly of the Magical School, and of other universities of this country and England--Dr. Grenfell has established hospitals, schools and other agencies of untold benefit to this great section of the north. He is now the superintendent of the International Grenfell Association, the charitable organization which makes possible the maintenance of such institutions and the progress of the work of Dr. Grenfell and his associates in Labrador.

In 1907, Dr. Grenfell was decorated with the insignia of the Order of Companion of St. Michael and St. George by King Edward VII. Besides his M.A. degree, conferred on him by the University, he holds degrees of honorary M.D. from the universities of Oxford and Toronto, and of LLD, from Williams. He is the author of many books, among which are: "Vikings of Today," "Down North on the Labrador," "The Adventure of Life," and "Tales of Labrador"; and a number of special magazine and newspaper articles.