University Third in Chess Tourney

In the 28th Annual Intercollegiate Chess Tournament, held in New York City at the Manhattan Chess Club during the vacation, the University chess team the Princeton in the game record for second place in the race for the championship of the "C. H. Y. P." Chess League, but was forced to third place in the final standing when Princeton obtained the better match record. Columbia retained the title by defeating Yale 3 1-2 to 1-2 and Princeton 4 to 0 in games, after tieing the University.

On the first day of play, Tuesday, December 28, the University tied the supposedly much stronger Columbia aggregation 2 to 2 in games. This match was the closest fought of the tournament and the work of the University men was a surprise to the followers of this annual event. It was found necessary at the last minute to substitute E. A. Sharp '22 for J. H. Hoeck '22, otherwise the lineup remained unchanged throughout the tournament.

Princeton and Yale both defeated the University 2 1-2 to 1 1-2 in games on the second and last days of play respectively.

The line-up of the University team follows: 1, K. O. Mott-Smith '22, Captain; 2, H. H. Jackson '22; 3, A. Kink '24; and 4, E. A. Sharp '22.