ASLEEP

It is time to preach the old sermon again. Every so often the Freshman Class must be told that the University is neither a winter resort nor a collection of class-rooms. The man who has no time for his studies because his hours are consumed in numerous Boston engagements is hardly worse than the man who has time for nothing but studies. Neither one is giving anything to the University and the conclusion is obvious enough that neither gets anything in return.

Only five Freshmen reported for the Track Manager Competition. It is unnecessary to explain why competitions exist and why they are profitable. If a man cannot understand that only by entering whole-heartedly into college activities, by working with other men and learning to know them can he secure-one of the most valuable things that Harvard offers, he grossly underestimates the value of a college education. He should not be here.

When five men respond to the call for manager candidates of a major sport team, one is justified in believing that the college year ended with the Christmas vacation as far as the Class of 1924 is concerned. As a matter of ract there are more interesting competitions and more opportunities to enter college activities now than ever before. Ignorance or neglect of them is inexcusable. The time for 1924 to fall asleep is in June--not January.