THE OTHER LIBRARY

What may be called modern fiction is apparently under the ban at Widener. "Alice Adams", "Main Street" and "The Age of Innocence" have slipped in, but "Moon Calf", "Zell" and "Miss Lulu Bett" are not on the shelves. Joseph Hergesheimer's books have a place, but only since last year; while James Branch Cabell has but a single volume listed under his name in the catalogue. And there is hope, we are told, for "Erik Dorn" and "If Winter Comes".

We are tempted to ask if a policy that classes all books of fiction as bad until long years have proved them otherwise is not out of place in an institution that presumably desires to cultivate the arts. Perhaps it would be if the library possessed unlimited funds and space. Possessing neither to any great degree, the problem becomes one of choosing certain books which shall be of undoubted lasting value. Obviously modern fiction is a questionable element in building up a permanent library.

The better class of modern literature is not out of reach of the undergraduate, however, even though it is not in the stacks of Widener. The library in the Union at present much neglected, contains an excellent collection of the newer works of fiction, poetry and drama whose worth has been established.

The committee in charge is always willing to consider additions that will help maintain the boast that this is the best gentleman's library in America. Those who critize Widener for the absence of current works will find less room for criticism at the Union.