UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH COURSE

A college does not pretend to verse the undergraduate in the rules of his future business; that is the purpose of the graduate school. A college is satisfied if it can teach the undergraduate to reason, to think clearly. The problem of how best to accomplish this is puzzling educational boards throughout the country.

At this University experiments are continually being made, the most recent of which Professor Day termed an "Undergraduate Research Course". The student in such a course no longer works out set problems from a text book. He is obliged to select from his field of concentration, whatever it may be, problems or subjects to which he must apply in his own way the methods taught in the course. This plan is being adopted with success in a number of the college courses this year.

Such an idea should prove to be excellent. It will certainly form more of a link between courses than now exists. It will give to the student a new chance to do active work in his specific field, familiarize himself with the facts; a new chance to think for himself; and finally and most important of all, a new chance to become interested in his work.