"AS IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS"

Three ancient millstones that have been buried in oblivion for over two hundred years, were recently brought to light in the vicinity of New Heaven. They were promptly taken to Yale, where they entered the Harkness Quadrangle in great pomp, being drawn on a two wheel cart by a team of oxen. These stones are said to have historic associations with the founding of the college, having been used in the mill in which was ground the corn eaten by the first president of Yale. The historian further informs us that he who has never tasted "pone" bread made from the corn-meal ground in the old-fashioned water mills has missed the greatest of body-building foods, the food upon which throve the husky pioneer of colonial days. By the ancient method was retained all the valuable ingredients that made the flour nourishing, and that are carefully removed by the modern process.

Last year one of the members of the New Heaven faculty made public his discovery that the reason why Yale teams were less successful than in the past was that their diet lacked the necessary strength-giving constituents, or vitamins. The connection between these two facts could not be more obvious. We no longer wonder why such deference was shown to a careful of old stones; for these stones are to be set up in the heart of the college to grind the corn that will make the "pone" which will make Yale athletes grow strong again.