FRESHMAN DORMITORY CREWS RACE TOMORROW

Thirteen Boats, Composed Almost Entirely of Inexperienced Men, to Cover Half-Mile Course--Oarsmen to Hold Novel Tug-of-War

Thirteen Freshman dormitory crews, composed almost entirely of inexperienced men, will race tomorrow afternoon on the half mile course, fixed seats being used.

After the races a third Freshman eight will be picked from material that has never rowed before this fall. A fourth crew may also be chosen if enough promising material is found. The crews picked tomorrow will race a mile with the Second Freshman eight on November 10. On this day the first Freshman boat will race the University A, B, and C crews.

After tomorrow's race the dormitory crews will hold a tug of war tournament on Dr. Howe's new tug of war board in Weld Boat House. This consists of a plank with cross cleats every six feet. The competing crews sit on the plank with their feet resting against the cleats, a position similar to that assumed in rowing. The rope used is of the same diameter as an oar. The contest has been instituted to tighten the grip of crew candidates. It also very effectively teaches them in bear lightly on the seat.