ENGINEERING SCHOOL RANKS

Along with the general approbation which has greeted the new Rank List, have come certain justifiable complaints. The most serious is heard among members of the Engineering School, whose names are not included in the ranking. This at once raises the question of the status of the Engineering School in relation to the College, a problem with which Yale has been struggling for years. Yale, with the task of uniting two separate institutions, the College and Sheffield Scientific School, has found the apparent solution in a Common Freshman Year.

At Harvard the difficulty is less serious. Our problem is simply to keep the new school which is growing up from breaking off and becoming distinct from the College. Men do not come to the Engineering School for its own sake; they come to Harvard to study engineering. It is therefore imperative that the distinction between the two schools should be kept at a minimum. At present the Freshman Year, as at Yale, is supposedly common to both schools--the men are assigned to the same dormitories; English A is required for both; and in other ways the privileges and requirements are the same.

But already there are evidences of discrimination between the two, as in this case of the Rank List. People outside the University do not realize the precise distinction schools; they look for the name of Harvard acquaintance in the Rank List and not finding it suppose him to be among the "flunkers", when his only offense may be that he is registered in the Engineering School instead of the College. If Engineering students cannot be included in the College Rank List, at least they should have one of their own which should be given equal prominence with that of the College.