CONGRATULATIONS

On November 16th, 1801, a group of men, headed by William Coleman and Alexander Hamilton, founded the "New York Evening Post", which today celebrates its 120th anniversary. "Ever since that date", writes President Emeritus Eliot, "the paper has stood firmly for the best public causes in this country, such as Free Soil, the War for the Union, civil service reform, sound public and private finance, and liberal education". A prominent citizen of New York used to declare that he would continue to read the "Post", no matter how seriously he differed with its views, merely because it was founded by Hamilton. This may be a sweeping statement; but when we glance at the list of former editors and contributors of the "Evening Post" we can see why it has always enjoyed the position and prestige which it possesses today. William Cullen Bryant, J. F. Cooper, S. P. Chase, SainteBeuve, Carl Schurs, Henry and William James, Walt Whitman, C. F. Adams Jr., Charles Eliot Norton, Goldwin Smith, and William Roscoe Thayer are only a few of the many well-known men who were associated with the paper during the nineteenth century.

In more recent years, this unusually fine literary tradition has been carried on and expanded by such men as the late Walter Hines Page, Professor Irving Babbitt, Hammond Lamont, W. P. Garrison, and a host of younger men, among them many Harvard graduates, who are prominent among the rising generation of authors and critics. Moreover, the present personnel of the paper, as well as the owner and several higher officials, includes several Harvard men. E. F. Gay, formerly Dean of the Business School, is president, and Mr. C. C. Lane, one time director of the University Press, is publicity manager. It is partly because the "Evening Post" is so closely connected with the University but more especially on account of its continuous devotion to the highest principles of public service and the best literary standards, that the CRIMSON takes this welcome opportunity of wishing it many happy returns of the day.