THE RED CROSS

As society is now constituted, only those who have something to sell--who are able to enter into a give and take arrangement--can, as the phrase is, "make money". The president of a shoe manufacturing company is paid a good salary. He has his services to sell and can say to the director, "Pay me, or you won't get me". But a missionary is in a different situation. All he says is, "Pay as much as you can, and as long as I have enough to eat, I'll work".

The Red Cross is an organization which cannot enter into an ordinary give and take arrangement: those who take from it are unable to give. Hence the giving devolves on others. And those who need its services get them only in proportion as these others give. It goes without saying that the Red Cross is performing an indispensible work. It is shouldering an added burden at present in caring for disabled veterans--once heroes, now neglected invalids. It asks only a small sum, but on this depends the health and happiness of many. You can answer the roll call in Widener Library.