1925 HEARS DR. CROTHERS

"The Truly Great Man Has the Ability to Discriminate Between Many Tasks" He Declares--Gives Examples

"A great man," said the Reverend Samuel McChord Crothers, D.D., L.D.D., last night in a talk to Freshmen on "The Value of Discrimination," "knows his own good points and develops them, knows the things which are worth while and sticks to them, knows the things which are valueless and avoids them. To most people life presents an endless succession of equally important duties that must be performed. The truly great man has the ability to discriminate between these many tasks, always to chose the really great and important one and to subordinate the others so that he goes through life with only one vital thing to do at each particular moment."

To illustrate the necessity of discrimination Dr. Crothers pointed out that while a poor debater clogs his discourse with myriads of points, hewildering the listener and failing to drive home a single part of his argument, the good speaker yields all minor questions, gives all his eloquence to the one determining principle and wins the debate on this one point alone.