New Subjects Have Been Considered At Washington

(Special Correspondence to the Crimson from the Armament Conference at Washington).

By Ernest HAMLIN Abbott

This is the eighth of a series of articles which the Crimson is running on the Conference at Washington and the second of the weekly summaries of developments which will be printed.

Though not as dramatic and surprising as the presentation of America's proposal to stop building battle fleets, the way in which the next two subjects for the consideration of the Conference at Washington were introduced was effective and not lacking in dramatic elements.

The program for limiting naval armaments had been presented by the strongest nation concerned in the question, the sure winner of the race. In contrast, the program for the discussion of the affairs of the Far East was presented by the feeblest of nations, the one which in the contest for the markets of the East has been uniformly the victim. In the one case the winner suggested a plan for ending the race. In the other case the victim expressed her hopes for a change in the spirit and methods of the contest.

What has made this program presented by China significant is the answer it secured. In four days the eight other Powers jointly adopted and published the following agreement:

"It is the firm intention of the Powers attending this conference hereinafter mentioned, to wit, the United States of America, Belgium, the British Empire, France, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands and Portugal:

"(1) To respect the sovereignty, the independence and the territorial and administrative integrity of China.

"(2) To provide the fullest and most unembarrassed opportunity to China to develop and maintain for herself effective and stable government.

"(3) To use their influence for the purpose of effectually establishing and maintaining the principle of equal opportunity for the commerce and industry of all nations throughout the territory of China.

"(4) To refrain from taking advantage of the present conditions in order to seek special rights or privileges which would abridge the rights of the subjects or citizens of friendly States and from countenancing action inimical to the security of such States."

Obviously this is indefinite. It leaves unmentioned all questions of the Far East which lie outside of China--Siberia for example. It leaves China itself undefined; for China has no universally recognized boundaries or status