SPECIAL SERVICE IN APPLETON TOMORROW

Three Hundred and Fourteenth Anniversary of Birth of John Harvard to Be Observed--The Rev. Augustus Mendon Lord, D.D., '83, to Preach

Tomorrow at 8.45 o'clock, a special service will be held in Appleton Chapel to commemorate the three hundred and fourteenth anniversary of the birth of John Harvard. The Reverend Augustus Mendon Lord '83, D.D., of Providence, the regular College preacher for the week, will conduct the service, which will be open to the public.

Few of the present day students in the University understand the extent of the character of the service rendeded to the University by John Harvard. This Englishman set sail for Massachusetts in 1637 and settled near Boston in a district known at that time as Charlestowne. He became interested in a college which had been established at Newtone by order of the General Court, and donated half of his estate; $3900, and a library of 300 volumes to the college. For this reason the institution was named Harvard College in 1639.

A special John Harvard exhibition, arranged by the Harvard Memorial Society, is now open in the Treasure Room of Widener Library. The collection contains practically all the records of John Harvard that are now in existence.